Colorado Nonprofits State Tax Overview- Updated April 21, 2023 - 8.00 AM - Admin, ExpressTaxExempt
Read through this page to explore everything related to the State of Colorado's registration and reinstatement process of charity organizations.
To offer a comprehensive understanding, we have listed the filing methods the Colorado state accepts, details of the form to file, how an organization can extend its filing deadline, the penalty imposed, and other links to important resources.
Table of Contents
1. Registrations and Reinstatements of Charity Organizations for Colorado
Colorado Nonprofits Registration Statement
Colorado Nonprofits Reinstatement Statement
You must renew the registration annually on or before the date of your registration to remain active in Colorado.
Filing method: Online
2. Nonprofits Periodic Reports and Filings for Colorado
- Periodic Report: Colorado is required by the law to submit a Periodic Report each year to the Secretary of State. Refer the glossary for a full list of reporting entities.
- Submitting a Periodic Report allows an entity to update the current name and address of its registered agent and its principal office address, which helps ensure current information is available to the public. Submitting the Periodic Report also maintains the “Good Standing” of the entity with the Secretary of State.
Filing Method: Online
Due Date: Reporting month on the entity’s Summary page under ‘Periodic report month. The Periodic Report can be filed two months before the Periodic Report month. If the entity fails to file a Periodic Report on time, the entity will get additional time of two months after the Periodic Report month to file a late Periodic Report.
Late Filing Penalty: $50.00
Extension of Charity Registration Form DR 0158-I for Colorado
Charity Registration Extension Form: DR 0158-I.
Due:You will be provided an automatic 6-month extension to file your income tax return in Colorado.
Form DR 0158-I (Extension Payment Voucher for Colorado Individual Income Tax)
Where to mail Extension Payment Voucher to the State of Colorado?
Mail this voucher (with payment) to the following address:Colorado Department of Revenue
Denver, CO 80261-0008
3. Colorado State Filing Requirements
These are the policy documents that must be developed to meet the requirements of IRC:
- Conflict of interest
- Document retention
- Whistle-blower policies
The documents prepared must comply with state law, annual reporting requirements, and establish recordkeeping systems.