Where to mail Form 990-PF?- Updated April 21, 2023 - 8.00 AM - Admin, ExpressTaxExempt
Under the “Taxpayer First Act of 2019,” the IRS mandates all private foundations to file their Form 990-PF electronically for the tax year beginning on or after July 2, 2019.
For example: If you are filing a 2019 Form 990-PF for a tax year beginning on or after July 2nd, 2019, you are required to file Form 990-PF electronically.
Previously, the private foundations used to file their Form 990-PF by mail, private delivery service, or electronically.
1. Form 990-PF Mailing Address
Send your Form 990-PF to the following mailing address:
Internal Revenue Service Center
Ogden, UT 84201-0027
In case the foundation’s principal office is located in a foreign country or U.S. possession, mail your IRS Form 990-PF to the following address:
P.O. Box 409101
Ogden, UT 84409
If you prefer to use Private delivery services (PDSs), you can’t mail Form 990-PF to the above address. PDSs won’t deliver mail to P.O boxes.
2. Furnishing a Copy of Form 990-PF with the State Officials
Form 990-PF, the return of private foundation must also be furnished to the attorney general of the state listed in Part VII-A, line 8a: which means
- The state where the principal office of a private foundation is located and
- The state where the foundation is actually incorporated or created
3. When is Form 990-PF due?
Form 990-PF is due by the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the foundation’s accounting period.
May 15th is the deadline to file Form 990-PF for the organizations operating on the calendar tax year.
Operating in the fiscal tax year? Find your Form 990-PF due date now.
If the due date falls on Saturday, Sunday, or any federal holiday, then the organizations are required to file Form 990-PF by the next business day.
For States: The due date to file Form 990-PF at the state level may vary based on their requirements. A copy of Form 990-PF must be sent to the state at the same time when it is filed with the federal (IRS). Learn more
4. Meeting Mandate Electronic Filing Requirements of Form 990-PF
- ExpressTaxExempt supports all the variants of 990 Forms and includes almost all the schedules that the organization may require.
- To make sure that you are transmitting error-free returns, our system runs validation checks against the information that you enter. If there is any error identified, it provides you with a way to correct it.
- You have the ability to add more users to manage the filing process and can invite board members to review and approve your return.
- Once everything is done, you can transmit your return directly to the IRS.
- During preparation, if you need any assistance, you can access our knowledge base or reach out to our customer support team to get the help you need.
- Instructions for Form 990-PF:
- E-file for Charities and Non-Profits: