Form 990-PF Amended Return
An organization can make changes to an approved return for any year by filing an amended return, including all attachments, with the correct information. Only a Form 990-PF of the same filing year can be amended, and the amended return must provide all the information necessary for the form and instructions, not just the new or corrected information.
To indicate that a form is amended, check “Amended Return” in Item G at the top of page 1.
If an organization is filing an amended return to claim a refund of tax paid under section 4940 or 4948, the IRS requires the amended return filed within three years after the date the organization filed its original return, or within two years from the date the tax was paid, whichever date is later.
Organizations needing a complete copy of its previously filed return can submit a Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, to the IRS. Refer to IRS.gov for information in regards to receiving blank tax forms.
With ExpressTaxExempt, an organization can amend its Form 990-PF from the Dashboard of the organization's ExpressTaxExempt account:
- Click the AMENDED RETURN button
- Enter an explanation why you're amending the return
- Click the CONTINUE link to make your changes
ExpressTaxExempt also offers amended returns for Form 990 and Form 990-EZ; however, we only support amended returns for organizations that filed their original return through our services.
- How long should an organization keep records for tax purposes?
My organization changed its legal name. Is there any additional reporting to be done with
- My organization's Form 990-N was filed with a mistake. Can I amend the form submitted with the IRS?
- Can a small organization file a previous year's Form 990-N return?
- My organization doesn't have an EIN. Can I use the EIN of my parent organization to file Form 990-N?